Food Service » School Nutrition

School Nutrition

Summer Nutrition Program for Kids
A healthier future for our country begins with our children. Unfortunately, many children face hunger during the summer when they lose access to school meals. Children need good nutrition to grow, learn, and thrive.
There are new tools to address summer hunger, including Summer Electronic Benefits Transfer (Summer EBT), and a new flexible way to offer meals to children living in hard-to-reach, rural communities.
This year there are Three Ways to combat summer hunger!
1. In-person group meal service
2. Summer EBT called SUN Bucks
3. To-go/Delivery meal service in rural areas
Access to our online pre-payment service is available in the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Click HERE for instructions.
It is anticipated that school meals will be paid for at time of service. Payments may be made to student accounts by either sending a check to the school or by paying online at
We realize at times accounts may run in the negative. MSAD #51 firmly believes students cannot learn when they are hungry. Students who owe money can always get the regular meal options. Charging ala carte items is not allowed on accounts that are in the negative.
Please note: Student accounts are debit accounts. All balances (positive or negative) will be brought forward each school year.
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: [email protected].

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.
353 Tuttle Rd
Cumberland, ME 04021
Phone: 207 829-4824
Fax: 207 829-2254