What is the Common Core?
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort that established a single set of clear educational standards in English language arts and mathematics that the State of Maine voluntarily adopted.
The Common Core State Standards are:
- Aligned with college and workforce training expectations;
- Rigorous in content and the application of knowledge through higher-order skills;
- Built on strengths and lessons of previous state standards;
- Informed by standards in other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our economy and society; and
- Evidence-based, clear, understandable, and consistent.
For more information about the Common Core Standards in Maine, visit Maine Department Of Education
For more information about the Common Core, visit CoreStandards.org