From the Superintendent
Full-Day Weather Closures
The 2022-23 calendar allows for the first three (3) weather cancelation days to be traditional in nature. There will be no in-person or remote learning on these days and the day will be made up in June. In addition, there will be no meals available on these three days. (This is where we are now.)
For future reference, beginning with the 4th weather day and beyond, they will revert to Remote Learning days. The following can be expected on these days:
- All school buildings are closed for the day and all on-site school-related events and activities are canceled for the day/afternoon/evening of the closure.
- All students will have access to Concurrent Learning activities. Concurrent Learning is when there are live instruction/direction/class meetings for students provided by the teacher for at least part of the school day. Each school will provide more details as needed.
- Students are considered to be ‘in attendance’ when they have attended the required concurrent learning activities (instruction, check-ins) offered by the teacher.
NOTE: In the event of a questionable day when a remote learning day cannot occur for whatever reason (power outages, etc), the district reserves the ability to revert to a traditional weather cancelation day if needed after the first three traditional weather days have been used already.
Two Hour Delay
If school start times are delayed by 2 hours (120 minutes), simply add two hours to the regular school start times and regular bus pick-up times. Students scheduled for remote learning would follow this same schedule.
- Grades 6-12 starts at 10:00 AM and buses would pick students up at the bus stop two hours later than the usual pick-up time.
- Grades K-5 starts at 10:45 AM and buses would pick students up at bus stops two hours later than the usual pick up time.
- Pre-Kindergarten: Both AM and PM sessions will be canceled for the day. Days with 2-hour delays will not be made up for Pre-K students.
- If the need for a 2-hour delay falls on a day that also is scheduled as an Early Release, the entire school day will be canceled instead. For the 1st, 2nd or 3rd occurrence of the season, the day will be made up at the end of the school year. For the 4th occurrence and beyond, we will hold a Remote Learning Day.
Notices from the Office of the Superintendent
MSAD #51 Kindergarten Registration
Kindergarten registration for MSAD #51 (Cumberland-North Yarmouth) will be held January 23rd - January 27th, 2023. If your child will be five years old on or before October 15, 2023, they are eligible to attend kindergarten this fall. You may drop off completed registration packets to the MIW mailbox or mail, scan/email or fax in the completed packets. You will need to provide a picture of your child’s original birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency to complete the packet.
If you have a student currently enrolled in a private school and would like them to attend Mabel I. Wilson School in the fall, please register your child during that week as well.
To obtain registration forms in advance please visit our website (www.miw.msad51.org). We want to ensure all incoming students are included in the placement process for the 2023-24 school year. If you have any questions, please call or email MIW at 829-4825.
MSAD #51 Pre-K Lottery
MSAD #51 (Cumberland-North Yarmouth) is pleased to announce that we will continue our small public Pre-K Program for 32 students (16 each session) starting in September 2023.
The program will run half days (morning and afternoon session) four days per week (M, T, Th, F) for approximately 145 days during the school year. The program is located at Mabel I. Wilson school and is in partnership with Child Development Services.
In order to be considered, your child must be 4, but not 5, years old before October 15, 2023 and you must be a resident of Cumberland or North Yarmouth.
Screenings will take place via Zoom for eligible children during the week of February 13-17, 2023.If interested, please fill out the interest application (https://forms.gle/
MSAD #51 Board of Directors Information
Effective August 22, unless otherwise noted, all meetings will take place at 6:00 pm in the Gyger Room at Greely High School. For those of you unfamiliar with that room, the Gyger Room is where the Board met pre-COVID and can be accessed from the GHS parking lot (the side without the electronic sign).
December 19 - Regular Meeting
Our Community Partners are strong supporters of various areas of the school. Without them, our students would not have many of the wonderful opportunities and experiences that they receive.
Support the K-8 Enrichment Programs Through Your Holiday Shopping!
Community Notices are not affiliated with MSAD #51. Please contact the organization directly with any questions. For a full listing of Community Notices, please click HERE.
If you would like something included in our weekly newsletter, please send a brief write up with title along with a JPEG or PNG image of your flyer (if applicable) to Fran Prentice for approval. The deadline each week is Sunday. Any requests received after Sunday will be reviewed for possible submission in the following week's newsletter. All approved submissions will be posted on the district's website.
Not all items in this email are MSAD #51 sponsored programs. If you need more information, please contact the group or organization that is sponsoring the event.
357 Tuttle Road, PO Box 6A, Cumberland, ME 04021
Contact Us | 207.829.4800