Sounds of Silence
(An American Sign Language Class)
TWO CLASSES OFFERED:
ELEMENTARY CLASS: GRADES 3-5 MIDDLE SCHOOL CLASS: GRADES 6-8
The Sounds of Silence program is entering its seventh year with Cumberland Rec! This fall’s SOS program includes not only American Sign Language classes in which students will learn sign language skills and develop an awareness of deaf culture, but also optional performance opportunities that help students build confidence and self-esteem. WhileSOS is dedicated to helping new students learn the basics of the language, returning students will also be given new and fun challenges.
Performances this fall include The National Anthem at a Greely High School varsity football game as well as holiday performances at LLBean and the Cumberland Christmas tree lighting event. The session will conclude with a celebration performance for family and friends in mid-December. In order to provide an excellent program, enrollment will be limited (first come, first served).
“I can’t say enough good things about SOS and Mrs. Sidders. My daughter is happy and engaged and learning so much.” -- Parent of previous student
SPECIFICS FOR EACH CLASS:
• Early Release Wednesdays (12:30 - 2 p.m.) • Grades 3-5
• Location: White Pine Ministry Center (94 Cumberland Rd., North Yarmouth) • Bus transportation provided to the class location
• Fee: $150 (Includes 10 classes, various performances, & transportation)
**MIDDLE SCHOOL CLASS:
• Mondays after school (2:15 – 3:50 p.m.) • Grades 6-8
• Dates: 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 11/28, 12/5, 12/12 • Class Minimum: 10 students